Hull Form Design and Optimization
- Propulsion efficiency mostly defines operational efficiency of the ship. In turn, a good hull form is the best way to provide high propulsion qualities. We work out such hull forms for new-built or converted vessels, and have the rich portfolio of works completed for well-known design bureaus and ship owners.
- As to content and accuracy, our services are most comparable to industrial towing tanks, cavitation tunnels and other experimental facilities.
- As to terms, prices and plentitude of technical and visual output information, we’re able to provide an advantage due to state-of-the-art methods of computational fluid dynamics (CFD).
- Flexible programs of propulsion calculations, starting with minimum data required for main engine selection or reachable speed determination and finishing with in-depth comprehensive research and developing unconventional propulsion designs. Normal (displacement) ships, high-speed crafts, towboats with barges, offshore platforms and other floating objects are equally suitable objects of our research.
- Usual scope of works includes:
- - towing test simulation and ship resistance as a result;
- - self-propelled simulation and propulsion factors as a result;
- - design of propeller (other propulsion device) – propeller drawing/3D model and open-water curves as a result.
- Our persistent intention is to completely satisfy both present-day CFD industrial standards and traditional data processing and representation procedures of naval architecture. We try to work out original and perfect solutions based on thorough design optimization.
- We offer the works, which could improve profitability of existing ships due to decreasing fuel consumption. In accordance with our experience, the majority of existing ships have sizable excess of fuel and power losses, which could be removed by relatively small propulsion system modernization.
- As a rule, ‘propulsion tuning’ provides a good profit, when the ship operated in conditions, which differed from design ones. An example is when the ship had been converted for new function. In that case changes of propulsion system mode may look subtle, but would lead to its non-optimality, which could be still removed.
- At the same time, we are also ready to more ambitious missions of improving propulsion systems without obvious flaws. In that case the advanced and non-conventional propulsion devices could be designed.
- Our usual practice is preliminary estimating and discussing the expected economic benefits of ‘propulsion tuning’ with the Customer.
- In the field of ship hydrodynamics our specialists provide a wide range of consulting services. They are: expertise of designs, processing and assessment of sea trial results, analysis of operational data.
- Our company has a unique experience in solution of ship hydrodynamics problems for naval shipbuilding. It includes conventional problems, which are similar for navy and merchant ships, and either special problems of aerodynamics of upperworks, smoke screening and heat radiation, exhaust fluid cooling and others.